Yup! This is one of those, "what in the world" moment when you think your getting an awesome recipe but what you get is a baking disaster. Let me tell you this recipe dates back to the time when internet is not so life defining and when I don't have kids yet.
When I found this recipe in Reader's Digest I really wanted to make it. It turned out awful and for the longest time I thought I did something wrong. When I recently made it again I got the same result. The dough was dry and will not form into a "smooth dough". So I fixed the recipe up and what I got is this amazing crispy buttery shortbread!
I made some extreme changes to the recipe!!
Since I got rid of 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, I have to add 1 tablespoon of milk. Anything I take away I have to compensate with another ingredient otherwise I will not get the same final product. My texture and quality of my shortbread will be off.
265g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
Zest from one lemon
3 drops of lemon essential oil
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 325 F. In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients except for sugar.
- In another large bowl with an electric mixer whip together sugar, milk and butter until creamy.
- Beat in egg yolks into the sugar and butter mixture.
- Using your hands mix in the dry ingredients into the sugar/butter/egg mixture. Keep mixing until the ingredients comes together and form a firm dough
- Turn out into a lightly floured surface.
- Cover the dough with parchment paper
- Start rolling out the dough into 1/2 inch thickness.
- Use any size of cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes decrease temperature to 300 F and bake for 5 - 10 minutes until lightly golden brown.