Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcake
My son had a couple of friends over for Teacher's Convention break. We went to LZ Trampoline park and head home for some snacks and cake. It is also Bronze's late mini birthday celebration. Moustache Party!
Which brings us back to the.... Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcake (makes 1.5 to 2 dozen cupcakes)
Got the idea from a Filipino desert puto. Puto is a cupcake type of desert. It is traditionally made with stone ground rice but for convenience it is made using rice flour or all purpose flour. To make this chocolate cake gluten free I used a mixture of rice flour, cornstarch, and for leavening organic baking powder.
1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup gluten free flour (see recipe below)
1 1/2 tsp organic baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter with the milk solids removed
3/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 oz (2 squares) of semi sweet chocolate, melted
Gluten Free Cake Flour
*this can be made ahead of time
2 cups rice flour
2 tablespoon cornstarch
In a small bowl add rice flour. Scoop out 2 tablespoons of rice flour from the 2 cups of rice flour in the bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Sift the mixture together. Done!
- Preheat oven at 350 F.
- Prepare muffin tins
- Wisk together gluten free cake flour, organic baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer beat together eggs and sugar until light, fluffy, and almost double its size. This is an important step. This step makes the cake nice and fluffy.
- Add melted unsalted butter, dry ingredients and melted chocolate.
- Carefully mix until everything is incorporated.
- Scoop into lined muffin tins and bake for 22 minutes or when inserted toothpick comes out clean. Ice with dark chocolate ganache. Enjoy!