If you love caramel popcorn this is a good shortcut recipe. My mom got this yummy recipe from her co-worker (also found in the Old Dutch website). I made one revision. I replaced the corn syrup with the same amount of honey. If you have neither honey nor corn syrup you can make a simple sugar before continuing on to step 2.
Instruction for simple sugar: In a large saucepan add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/8 cup water. Cook in low heat until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is clear.
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
- Pour popcorn twists into a large roaster pan and set aside.
- In a large saucepan bring to boil the butter, brown sugar, and syrup. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add baking soda. This will foam up and the mixture will thicken. (This is why you will need a large saucepan.) Allow the foam to cook down slightly and remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn twists and stir until well mixed.
- Bake in 225 F oven, uncovered for 50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and pour onto wax paper to cool.
- When cool break apart and store in a covered container.